10 Best Tips to Increase Peace and Joy (Easy and Fast)
10 Best Tips
to Increase Peace and Joy
(Easy and Fast)
The alarm goes off again after hitting snooze for the third time. The morning is a rush of getting kids ready, packing school bags and double checking your schedule for the evening. You barely have time to slam your, now cold, cup of coffee before starting your work day. Does this sound familiar? Do you feel the desire to increase your peace and joy. Being so busy that you hardly have time to even think. I’ve been there. It’s hard. That’s when I started adding these small things into my day to help keep my heart and emotions aligned with my Christian faith.
What is Devotional time?
Simply, it’s time spent with God either in worship, prayer, or studying the word. It’s giving Him your attention and tuning out other distractions. The challenge comes when you have a busy schedule or, if you’re like me, just finding a quiet place without interruptions. Then before you know it the day has come to an end and devotional time got pushed aside again.
Why does it get pushed aside?
Like I said above, days are filled with busy schedules, endless distractions and honestly feeling like you just can’t add one more thing to your to do list. I have had many days where the task didn’t get done if it didn’t stink, cry, or need to be fed. I was drained of joy and depleted of peace. Something had to give and things had to change. That is when I made these small changes. For example, these changes are not big extravagant lifestyle changes, more like small nuggets of wisdom and knowledge that can help you find more peace and joy in your day.
Best Tips for Increasing Peace and Joy
Tip 1: You’ve had enough
- The first thing you need to do is decide that you’ve had enough.
- In John 10:10 Jesus says, “A thief comes to steal, kill, and destroy. But I came to give life—life that is full and good
- Has your peace been stolen? Is there something killing your joy? Is there a roadblock in front of you trying to destroy your dream?
- Jesus came so we could have life. A good full life.
- I was exhausted, anxious, and weary almost everyday. I found that, the more I have these small reminders of His Love, peace and joy would start to wash away the other emotions.
- Another Great Read: A ragged and weary Chicken…Do you feel this way too?
Tip 2: There’s an app for that
- There are several great apps to have to strengthen devotional time.
- Bible by YouVersion (life.chruch) – This is a great comprehensive bible app. There are many options for studying and learning scripture.
- Bible study tools – This app has wonderful reading plans, verses of the day, and verses by topic.
- Oneplace – This is a great app to listen to devotionals by many different speakers.
- An app is a fantastic way to have your material on hand and use anywhere. Instead of opening up a social media post and being flooded other people’s lives try using one of these apps. It can help give you the peace you’ve been looking for.
Tip 3: Crank up the music
- Just the other day I was running errands and turned the radio up. I didn’t realize it until half way through the song but my kids were singing along. It was a song about Jesus being with them in times of trouble and relying on him.
- I love to use Alexa to play music. A few of my favorites are:
- K-Love (a radio station on iHeart radio)
- Spirit 92.9
- Elevation Worship
- I love to use Alexa to play music. A few of my favorites are:
- Finally, just letting the Truth settle in to your mind and sink into your heart can bring great joy. Songs are powerful and can bring the right reminder at just the right time.
Tip 4: Get outside
The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they reveal knowledge. They have no speech, they use no words; no sound is heard from them. Yet their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world. Psalm 19:1-4
- I love being outside surrounded by God’s creation! As a result, a walk outside being observant and noticing how amazing creation is can lift your spirits. Right now is the peak colors of fall! I just love seeing all the different trees in the various stages of color change. It’s simply beautiful.
Tip 5: Get a few new T-shirts
- Most shirts people wear have a logo on them. Why not get a few with scripture. Certainly, Its a great reminder.
- Walmart currently carries a brand called Blessed Girl. They come in different seasonal styles, short and long sleeves, and have great verses on the back.
- loveinfaith.life offers so many cute styles and great prices. They are sure to have something you’ll fall in love with.
- odgapparel.com is the next on the list of my favorites. This company has apparel that stands out and are conversation starters. For instance, one of my favorite shirts that my husband bought me has a bear holding a pineapple with the words “bear fruit” It’s a great way to introduce the fruit of the spirit to others that ask!
- Plus, who doesn’t love wearing a new T-shirt!
Tip 6: Schedule it
- Make the time to get it into your day. You keep all of your other appointments. Likewise, why not make an appointment with the one who has all the answers?!
- This works for any schedule at any time.
- Literally put it into your calendar with a reminder. (Coffee with Jesus 11:30)
- Then stick to it. Focusing your mind and heart on Him for the meeting time.
- Most importantly, these meetings can center your heart and mind on what truly matters.
Tip 7: Audio books
- Did you know that Christ is Greek for Messiah. I learned that in an audio book this week while folding the laundry.
- If you have a library card there is a great resource of audio books for you. Check out what your library has to offer.
- If you are like me and don’t like waiting check out the app Scribd. It’s similar to audible but I feel like it has more options. It also had many of the books on my bookshelf that I’ve been needing to read!
- A few of the recent books I have listened too are
- The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel
- Rooted: The Hidden Places Where God Develops you By Banning Liebscher
- Get Out of Your Head By Jennie Allen
- I love listening to Audio books while I am doing chores, crocheting, or driving. It keeps my mind busy and thinking so I don’t get as anxious or worry as much.
Tip 8: Journal
- Our brains can only hold so much….Jot it down….even if its just a small thought.
- For instance, I keep a notebook while I study scripture. I have written down questions and then weeks later found the answer to them.
- Further, writing things down helps you to get the information out of your mind but it is still kept safe for later use.
- I also use the notes app on my phone. I type out simple prayers, prayer lists, and any worries or anxious thoughts I have.
- I also keep a gratitude list because while I was growing up my mom would say, “What are three things you are grateful for today?” This is a wonderful skill to utilize above all because it changes your perspective to focus on your blessings.
- Grab a pen and a pretty journal and start your gratitude list and your brain dump. It could free up some valuable brain power and help you feel more at peace.
Tip 9: Mornings….I know….but think about it.
- As a busy mom, this is the time I could find to have quiet. It was hard getting used to but my days run so much more smoothly when I get up and spend focused time in a study.
- Don’t skip past this one, most importantly, Trust me! I’m not perfect and certainly have days were I sleep in but when my mornings start out with Devotional time it prepares me to be my best for the ones I love the most.
- I am working my way through The New Inductive Study Series by Kay Arthur. This series speaks to me and helps me understand what I am reading. There are so many more studies that are incredible too.
- Most importantly, find a study that suits you and bring it to your next coffee meeting with Jesus!
Tip 10: Connect
- Being Isolated is certainly hard. I have times when I do get lonely and feel that isolation however a way that I combat that is to be connected to a group of like minded people.
- Life groups at your local church are a great way to connect to people in your community.
- Another way to connect is to join a member group like Becky Meyerson’s. This is a group of women that share life together, pray for each other, and encourage one another.
- Another way is to stay connected here! I will be sharing ways to live a simple christian life that is overflowing with the fruit of the spirit.
Finally, there it is folks, ten easy and fast ways to keep The Word on your mind and in your heart. It’s simple tasks like these that can increase your peace and joy on a regular basis. You can subscribe below to get more positive encouragement in your inbox every week. I love to share with others what I am learning and above all, how it can help you.